Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Another favorite story from the old blog.

I have read a lot of funny stories about pregnant ladies and the phenomenon called "Mommy-Brain". Below is one such example of "mommy-brain" that happened to yours truly. Enjoy!

(As told just a day or so after the incident.)
To set up, I did not sleep well the night before. Actually I have not been sleeping "well" for about 3 months. I fell asleep at 1a, and woke at 6a. Since I was up early I ate early. I had lunch around 11am and I was scheduled to be in the salon for an eight hour shift. Luckily this was my last week in the salon before my leave. I finished with my last client around 430p and needed to stop at Raley's for dinner before going home.

By this time I was really out of it. I was sleepy, hungry and had an eight hour day on my feet. My grocery trip was not going to take that long, but I took my time and chose not to rush. So far so good, I had already picked up milk, a watermelon and some other nutritious stuff. I had a hankering for mashed potatoes and chicken and if you have not tried the pre-made mashed potatoes in the fridge aisle you should. They are fabulous. The aisle that they were in was getting a cleanup so not to be in the way I parked my cart off to the side, waddled up to the case and got my creamy pre-made mashed potatoes and put it in my cart. The next item on my list was the rotisserie chicken, but I could not remember where I would find them.

I started my slow journey no doubt with a far away and vacant expression on my face and was well into the search when I noticed a middle aged lady with two school aged girls eying me. I was a little confused by the scrutiny but at that moment I casually glanced down at my cart to survey my load and I noticed with a start that I had the wrong cart. I had been pushing a cart full of boxed hard liquor that was being moved off the shelf to be cleaned! I had managed to place my mashed potatoes in the right cart but with zombie like deftness select another cart to finish my grocery trip with. No wonder that lady was looking at me! Here I am, visibly 9 months pregnant and I have a cart loaded with premium hard liquor, and nothing else!! Without any further action I abandoned the wrong cart where I stood and walked all the way back to where I had originally parked my cart to get my mashed potatoes. It was still there, thank goodness. I felt so stupid, and I am not one to get embarrassed easily, but I was at that moment.

So, as secure as I thought I was that I was not going to be like the thousands of other pregnant women out there I felt like one of the masses.

Oh well, it makes for a good story.

No comments: