Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Im venting and confessing.

On my drive home today down Sierra College/Hazel Ave. I spot a big white Chevy or some other American brand truck coming fast into the my lane. The driver made a quick lane change from the right lane into my left lane and was quickly on my rear in the process. No offense to women drivers, but the lane change and the aggressive manner of this person's driving led me to assume that it was a female driver, and sure enough it was.
Here I will defend my obvious sexist profiling.
I often get the impression from ladies driving big wheeled pick-up trucks that there is a need for them to prove how capable they are behind the wheel of a big truck. Right? Like the dudes in the nearby cars are thinking to themselves "Oh crap, another female driving a big truck, duck and cover!" Firstly, the guys I know would not be thinking any such thing, but the tactics made by some of these ladies behind the wheel of the good 'ol boy's trucks is that they still have to get it into the open that they got this all in the bag.
Okay so now for my confession.
Soon after this lady changed into my lane she bypassed the slower driver in the right lane and moved out of my lane in front of this slower car. At this time we are driving nearly neck and neck (and by the way I probably have Napoleon syndrome in my sub-compact Toyota and have to prove that I can hang with the big cars).
All of a sudden a wild turkey is in the road making a suicide dash to the other side. The lady driver in the big white truck slows down and even swerves into the right hand shoulder to avoid hitting the turkey and I slow down to avoid the same carnage. We both had enough reaction time to spare this fowl's life and see it safely cross the road.
Tears nearly welled up at the thought that here I was condemning this stranger lady's driving and she had enough compassion on an ugly bird's life to slow and serve to avoid blasting it out of existence. I was chagrined. She didn't have anything to prove, she was probably in a hurry to pick her kids up from school or something and can truly handle a big truck and could give two poos for what anyone thinks of her. I on the other hand have no excuse for my judgmental thoughts. She became my hero for the day.

No comments: