Wednesday, April 1, 2009

I need some fun new stuff in my wardrobe.

First off, I am sitting down writing this post instead of cleaning the wreck of a kitchen behind me and picking up the disaster I call my family room. I should clean...but, I'm not going to right now.

So working in the salon a few days a week gives me just enough exposure to the outside world. The wide world of fashion in fact as the salon subscribes to most of the top fashion/editorial magazines. My personal favorite for getting the freshest tips of what's in and what's out is Harper's Bazaar. I find Bazaar to be the most fashion oriented magazine where as Vouge has a deep left agenda and has more editorial articles then what I bargain for in a fashion magazine. I would rather read GQ (great and funny writers are found there) or just flip really fast through women's magazines to get the goods on the hottest fashion trends. (P.S. I CANNOT stand Cosmopolitan which thankfully we do not get at the salon. That stuff is garbage.)

Anywho, I have long since left full time working behind me and with the addition of a beautiful daughter into my life nearly 18 months ago I do not have the means to do any serious shopping, but I am still bound and determined to look my most stylish. So I have a plan! My sister Misty who has an in your face and very creative personal style is assisting me with this adventure and I wanted to share my idea publicly.

March and September's Bazaar issues are always set aside as the "Fashion" issues. September for the fall collections and trends and March for spring's. (Funny enough the unveiling of the new collections around the globe show in the opposite season at the time of the year we are in. Fall in spring for the next year and spring in fall again for the next year.) I grabbed the March Bazaar from the salon and went about tearing all of the ads that inspire me and all of the single page fashion tutorials always found in these specific fashion issues. For example of few key new pieces setting this Spring apart from others is: oversized shoulders (think shoulder pads with an origami twist), jackets in all kinds of proportions but mostly bigger, and a slouchy pant which excites me the most and Ill explain in a second. There are also certain colors or color combinations that are now and ways to do your hair and or makeup which I am not bothering with for this experiment.

Now what? Now it's time for the challenge and the fun. With these tear sheets I will embark, with my trusty sidekick to scour local thrift stores with the patience to set out and find some inexpensive pieces that fit this springs fashion themes!!! Brilliant, isn't it?!? Okay, maybe or maybe not, but I am down for the challenge. The slouchy pant should be the easiest to nail down as there is a strong reminiscence to shapes we saw in the late 80's and early 90's. Same thing with the boyfriend cut jacket. Now thrift store finds have to be paired with more modern pieces to create the right look or you run the threat of looking like your wardrobe is a thrift store, but again I am up for the challenge. Plus I have the added benefit of having a sewing machine and knowing how to wield that bad-boy.

All in all I want some excitement in my life and I have never been let down by finding good clean excitement in the the cloths that I wear. I make no bones about this seemingly superficial interest of mine and the effect it has on my mood. The right outfit, one that screams me is better than prescription mood enhancers.

I leave this bit I found in my magazine with you. It is a sartorial Q&A with Karl Lagerfeld (Chanel design guru) playing shrink to fashion's most pressing questions. I love it!

The recession is keeping me up at night. My husband tells me I have to cut back on spending, but I'm anxious about shopping on a budget. Can I still look chic while buying cheap?
Karl Lagerfeld:
The most important thing is to sleep well. Try to have sweet dreams and no recession nightmares. You have to find out if you husband is telling you to spend less during the crisis as an excuse. Never use the word cheap. Today everybody can look chic in inexpensive clothes (the rich buy them too.) There is good clothing design on every level today. You can be the chicest thing in the world in a T-shirt and jeans-it's up to you.
Dont use expensive clothes as a screen for your personal doubts. Be proud of yourself and not only because you wear expensive designer clothes. They are great, but lots of people are happy without them. Don't play the victim: It's too easy. You come first, the clothes later. Reinvent new combinations of what you already own. Play with it. Improvise. Become more creative. Not because you have to, but because you want to. Evolution is the secret for the next step.

No comments: